Home » Final Reflection

Final Reflection

Karrissa Sealey                                                                              12/13/21

During this class, I learned a lot, especially regarding rhetoric. As mentioned in my letter of introduction, I was familiar with the terms as I took AP English for 2 years in high school. Over the semester we got further in-depth regarding it and those rhetorical terms helped improve my writing. The terms and the way I used them that improved from the time that I was in high school were “Audience” and “Genre”. In my midterm reflection, I stated “I knew genre as something used when referring to types of books, I didn’t know that genre was something that followed people in their daily lives nor did I know that there were more than 5 types of genres. Learning about genre has made it easier for me to find sources that fit with the topics that I needed to speak about.” Adding to that, when writing my source-based essay I learned how vast genre actually was. For example, when I had to determine the genre of the source I used, I’d say it was “informational” and then would elaborate on that aspect of it but most sources are informational and there were better genres that suited those sources. Like I previously stated I thought that genre was something used only to categorize books and movies when genre can be used for everything. As for the “audience” I also in a way underestimated it. I always thought that asking for the audience was stupid as it’s straightforward and thought that obviously, the person reading it was the audience. Through this class, I was able to learn that if I wrote with a specific audience in mind then it would be easier to get my point across to them. From my source-based essay to my inquiry essay, I think you can see the most improvement in that aspect. I think that learning more in-depth about these terms will help me throughout the rest of my college career and especially next semester as I take another English class.