Home » Mid-term Reflection

Mid-term Reflection

Karrissa Sealey                                                                                       9/30/21

Before coming to CCNY, I had stopped writing. It’s not serious or anything, it was just because I hadn’t taken an English class in a year. The only time I’d be writing was when I’d send text/birthday messages or when I’d be searching things up. Since the type of writing I was doing was way more casual in a sense, trying to keep the way I wrote “professional” was kind of hard. Before that, I had taken two AP English courses, so I am/was familiar with rhetoric. While I was familiar with it, I had never gone so in-depth with rhetorical situation, author, audience, tone, purpose, stance, language, genre, or medium. I knew of them but I didn’t necessarily know what they meant. For example “tone”, learning about tone has completely broadened the way I write because before I’d just say that the tone was “informative” which didn’t really touch on the author’s emotions while writing it. Now when mentioning tone I’d say that it was “lighthearted” which gives the readers a better understanding of the author and their “stance” towards what they had written about. Another thing that I’ve expanded on since coming to CCNY was genre. I knew genre as something used when referring to types of books, I didn’t know that genre was something that followed people in their daily lives nor did I know that there were more than 5 types of genres. Learning about genre has made it easier for me to find sources that fit with the topics that I needed to speak about. In high school, I think we were allowed way more freedom with our writing and it didn’t have to be so concise but now I feel like the writing we do has to be way more put together. Even though that’s the case, I do think that the things I write are more connected and flow well together.