Home » Post-Essay Reflection

Post-Essay Reflection

Karrissa Sealey                                                                                         11/6/2021

Genre #4 Post Reflection

As I completed the inquiry-based research essay I learned that the way you cite evidence to support your claims is very important. Of course, I knew that before but as I was gathering information from all over the place I realized how badly we need to stay organized. While writing I was able to continuously look back and realize that sometimes “more” information/evidence isn’t always necessary. For example, my topic was on progressivism in today’s society, as progressivism dealt with discrimination, I brought up the topic of race. The issue with this was that I kind of deviated from what my essay was mainly about. I provided the whole backstory of BLM even though all of that information wasn’t needed. After having a meeting to review the work I completed, I took the feedback I received and cut down on the information. Looking back from August to now I think that I’ve gained better research skills and I think I’m slowly but surely figuring out how to cite other people’s work properly. The audience of my essay was those affected by the loss of progressivism, those who are interested in learning about progressivism, and of course next year’s entering students. My audience impacts my tone, language, and genre as I tried to get to the point quickly. My essay is straightforward as this is a serious topic that affects the lives of many so I didn’t want to beat around the bush. I instead got to the point and provided evidence to support the claims I made. I took my time researching and I also conducted interviews in order to gather more information and I thought that including an interview would make people more interested or at the very least relate. As for the synthesis in my essay, I was really happy with the way it turned out. All the information I collected continued to feed off of each other which made the process of writing enjoyable for me. All of my sources were incredibly easy to find which says a lot about our world today. Progressivism was made to fight against these issues but it hasn’t made an appearance in a while as more issues are being created rather than being solved. This topic is something I’m really passionate about and I hope that one-day progressivism will start again and become better.